After Glow: A rum toast to day’s end
Art imitates life, and sometimes so do cocktails. That’s the delicious case with this rum-and-juices blend that re-creates the rosy palette of a setting sun. The inspiration at Fluke Wine, Bar & Kitchen in Newport, Rhode Island, is easy to spot: its huge picture windows face west, across the harbor’s bristling masts to sunset over Narragansett Bay.
- 1-1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) Barbancourt 3-Star Rum
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) passion fruit puree
- 1/8 ounce (3/4 teaspoon) juiced ginger
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) simple syrup (recipe below)
- Combine in a cocktail shaker; add ice.
- Cover with lid and shake vigorously until thoroughly chilled (about 30 seconds).
- Strain into a martini glass; top with 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) pomegranate juice.
- Garnish with a lime slice, if desired. Makes 1 cocktail.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Cool. Makes 1-1/4 cups.